Digital strategy | Social business | People-centric biznology
Ethan McCarty is the Global Head of Employee and Innovation Communications for Bloomberg LP. Ethan leads a team of Employee and External Communications professionals who activate, inform and enable Bloomberg’s 17,000+ employees worldwide. Externally, Ethan’s team tells Bloomberg’s innovation story through our people, our workplaces and the technologies in our products.
Before joining Bloomberg, Ethan was Director of Strategic Consulting and Integration for IBM’s World Wide Marketing and Communications Labs, where he led the team that identified the right kind of work to pull through IBM’s worldwide network of Labs, integrated IBM’s disciplines behind that work and ensured teams around the world used the best practices that emerged in design, digital communications and modern marketing.
Prior to that, as IBM’s global leader for Social Strategy and Programs, Ethan was responsible for developing and deploying the enterprise standards, governance, tools, services, skills and measurement frameworks required to continuously improve IBM brand presence on external social media, as well as the quality of the collective activities of IBMers on external social media. This included: the successful adoption of IBM social brand engagement guidelines for brand channels and social computing guidelines for IBMers, the scaling of IBM’s tiered social enablement program for IBMers, the alignment of IBM marketing and communications programs to the IBM Social Measurement Framework, the development of enterprise social data services and social data visualization capabilities and the further development and scaling of the role of the Social Business Manager.
A former journalist, Ethan came to IBM in 2000 on the heels of the dotcom bust to manage the internal and external web presence for IBM’s $6 billion/year research division. After two years in that role, he moved to IBM’s strategic communications team where he helped to co-author IBM’s groundbreaking blogging guidelines, contributed to the launch and popularization of the IBM intranet podcasting platform and worked on IBM’s award-winning annual report to shareholders. During the subsequent five years he served as the Editor in Chief of IBM’s global intranet, also known as the w3 On Demand Workplace. In 2007 he also began managing IBM’s alumni relations effort, The Greater IBM Connection, a community that grew from a few thousand to more than 105,000 members during his tenure.
Ethan has a master’s degree from the New School for Social Research in New York City and a bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing from Ohio University. In 2009, Ethan participated in IBM’s Corporate Service Corps, a month-long program during which he worked in South Africa consulting on innovative solutions for a local NGO, Businesses Against Crime. Ethan is an alumnus of the Arthur W. Page Society’s Future Leaders Experience and current member of Page Up.
He is fascinated by the implications of user generated content; social computing and new methods of information discovery and decision-making for large organizations; and the role of the individual in a networked society. Ethan enjoys playing guitar and writing songs with geographically distant collaborators in his virtual band, Indelible Beancurd.
Connect with Ethan on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ethanmccarty
Follow Ethan on twitter: @ethanmcc
Blog posts, articles, interviews and what not
- The Arthur W. Page Society: Social Engagement: Trends, Cases & The New Model in Action (Direct link to PDF)
- The Guardian: Social media is too important to be confined to a single department
- The Guardian: Developing a content marketing mindset – five skills to master
- B2B Marketing Magazine: Three principles for marketing in the age of cognitive computing
- MarketingProfs Podcast: Employees as Brand Advocates: IBM’s Ethan McCarty Talks to Marketing Smarts
- B2B Magazine: The social business renaissance will not come to you
- Marketing Profs: 82 Percent of CMOs Plan to Increase Their Social Media Use (and You Should, Too)
- Informationweek: 10 Ways To Get Users On The Social Business Bus
- Wall Street Journal: More Than Just Lipstick on a Pig
- Digiday: Inside IBM’s Social Content Strategy
- Social Media Today: IBM’s Digital Lab: I Have Seen the Future of Marketing
- Reputation Capital: Live from SXSW: How IBM Includes Its Best Employees in its Social Media and Content Marketing
- Keynote at Omma Social at South by Southwest 2013
- Midsize Insider: ‘Voices’ Presents the Best of IBM’s Social Media Practitioners
- TopRank Blog: Social Visualization of Brand & Culture: IBM Voices Does the Talking
- Wired.com: Listening to the Voices of Social Business
- Center for CIO leadership: Expert Interview: Ethan McCarty
- News.ly: IBM launches Voices, a real-time service to showcase its social feeds
- The Financial Times: B2B: A chance for business to gain traction
- FastCompany: Move Over Social Media; Here Comes Social Business
- SocialMediaToday: Interview With Ethan McCarty
- Ragan Communications (c 2008): First person video interview