Ethan McCarty is the CEO of Integral Communications Group, a consultancy that helps major brands engage, inspire and activate employees on behalf of their employers.
Previously, Ethan was Global Head of Employee and Innovation Communications for Bloomberg LP. where he leads a team of internal, multimedia and external communications professionals who activate, inform and enable Bloomberg’s 18,000+ employees worldwide. Externally, Ethan’s team tells Bloomberg’s innovation story through its people, workplaces and technologies. As a communicator, technologist, former journalist and ex-IBMer, Ethan often takes the last shrimp at cocktail parties and is prone to dominate games of buzzword bingo. He, his wife and two adorable, nuclear-powered sons live in Brooklyn and frequently eat kale. He tweets now and again at @ethanmcc and blogs intermittently but with gusto at www.ethanmccarty.com
Can’t sleep? Read on.
Before joining Bloomberg, Ethan was Director of Strategic Consulting and Integration for IBM’s Worldwide Marketing and Communications Labs, where he integrated creative, data, and business disciplines and ensured Marketing and Communications teams around the world used the best practices in design, digital communications and modern marketing.
Prior to that, as IBM’s global Director of Social Strategy and Programs, Ethan developed and deployed the enterprise standards, tools, skills and measurement frameworks to continuously improve IBM’s presence on external social media in addition to the social media activity of IBMers.
A former journalist, Ethan came to IBM in early 2000 on the heels of the dotcom bust to manage the internal and external web presence for IBM’s $6 billion/year research division. After two years, he moved to IBM’s Strategic Communications team where he co-authored IBM’s groundbreaking blogging guidelines, launched IBM’s intranet podcasting platform and worked on IBM’s award-winning annual report to shareholders. He has served as the Editor in Chief of IBM’s global intranet and led IBM’s alumni relations effort, a community that grew from a few thousand to more than 105,000 members during his tenure.
Ethan has a Master’s degree from the New School for Social Research in New York City and a Bachelor’s in Creative Writing from Ohio University. Ethan is a member of Page Up‘s Operating Committee and an alumnus of the Arthur W. Page Society’s Future Leaders Experience.
Ethan is a Lecturer on Digital Media and Analytics at Columbia’s Strategic Communications Masters program in their School for Professional Studies. He is also on the Board of the Graphic Communications Scholarship Fund, the Dean’s Advisory Council for Ohio University’s School of Communications and the Advisory Commission of New York City College of Technology’s Department of Communications Design.
He is fascinated by the implications of audience-generated content, social computing and new methods of information-discovery and decision-making for large organizations, and the role of the individual in a networked society. Ethan enjoys playing guitar and writing songs with geographically distant collaborators in his virtual band, Indelible Beancurd.
Connect with Ethan on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ethanmccarty
Follow Ethan on twitter: @ethanmcc
Blog posts, articles, interviews and what not
- Your Thought Partner: Someone to Know: Q&A with Bloomberg Global Head of Employee and Innovation Communications Ethan McCarty
- PRNews: Cutting Through the Data Wilderness: Next-Gen Communicators Preach Data With a Human Heart
- FIR Podcast Network: Should we Stop Measuring Internal Comms?
- The Institute for Public Relations: Don’t Measure Internal Communications
- The Institute for Public Relations: Five Principles for Employee Communications
- The Guardian: Social media is too important to be confined to a single department
- The Guardian: Developing a content marketing mindset – five skills to master
- MarketingProfs Podcast: Employees as Brand Advocates: IBM’s Ethan McCarty Talks to Marketing Smarts
- Wall Street Journal: More Than Just Lipstick on a Pig
- Digiday: Inside IBM’s Social Content Strategy
- Reputation Capital: Live from SXSW: How IBM Includes Its Best Employees in its Social Media and Content Marketing
- TopRank Blog: Social Visualization of Brand & Culture: IBM Voices Does the Talking
- Wired.com: Listening to the Voices of Social Business
- The Financial Times: B2B: A chance for business to gain traction
- FastCompany: Move Over Social Media; Here Comes Social Business